What is Customer Service these days, have you ever noticed that when you call for support you’re generally calling overseas. Today I was on line for two hours and transferred three times before I got the right department. Have you noticed that you have to provide so much information for anyone to even speak to you? You provide that information only to find out your in the wrong department, well today each transfer was to do with being in the wrong country. I did called the number I was provided for Canada.
Now in all fairness, I am focusing on those calls to tech support and one could say that they are not customer service oriented. I also have to add that when I get a nice one, they certainly go out of their way to help. But those people are few in between.
I know when I look at job postings for tech support, they say you have to be customer service oriented; but when a rep says not his/her problem, what more do want or even just yells at you, were is the service in that.
Further, do you know how long I waited for the rude responder and how many people it took to get there? It’s pretty bad when these large companies move jobs away from us to foreign markets, who don’t understand us, may not even know anything about North America, our ways etc. Today, one guy thought it was the 10th, and when provided with my address was confused as to were Canada was. Not his fault, what training did he have.
I also know that, a foreigner not understanding me is one thing but when I get a Canadian being just darn rude, it makes you wonder why his/her employer is moving the service department elsewhere, perhaps they just can’t anyone to do the job here, in the fashion it was meant to be done in.
As for me, sometimes I get very upset and other times like today, I just know at the end of the day I will be still dealing with the issue; at least I got an email address to send my request to, not just a general mailbox.
So at the end of the day, people in North America don’t want the low paying jobs, they take them but their heart is not in it. Employers are to cheap to pay for good service so they contract out, and don’t monitor for quality control. In places like India, they are more than grateful for the opportunity, it is a good salary to them and the demand is so great, that the rep’s are probably thrown onto the phones before they even had training, or even technical skills.
What is the lesson to be learnt. The company benefits on account the consumer bought the product. The employees are happy for the North American jobs, especially when they live in an unbalanced society. The consumer has the new product. So if it’s all good, how come I have product that does not do what it is suppose to do?
Have A Great Day
I use to work for customer service, but of course not a big company like you are referring to. Never the less, you really have to love and know what you are doing when you have this kind of job. You can get all kinds of customer, and you have to be willing to deal with any one. I don`t like to brag but I did receive a badge of best customer service. I have to admit that I did get a few that I had a hard time to deal with, but one stay in my mine. It was the busy time of year, Christmas to be exact. This lady ask me if the book she was buying was the same as the first one she bought. I admittedly said no its not. Well she insisted that I go ask the manager to make sure. So I did. Then she still insisted that I was wrong. I have to admit that was the first time I ever lost my cool with any customer. I can`t remember what I said to her, but I know I insulted her. After that evening I felt so bad that I loss my cool with that lady, but to my surprise she came to see me in a few days, and apologized to me, and told me that I was right, it was a different book. That made me feel so good inside. :)
ReplyDeleteI will admit though it is really hard to fine good customer service these days, and it`s not going to get any better.